Reasons to Explore Flint & Genesee
Check out 10 surprising ways to spend a weekend in Flint and Genesee County, Michigan.
Nestled in the heart of Michigan, Flint & Genesee is an accommodating locale for visitors to connect with the arts, the outdoors, the people and the history. From the rural villages to the urban center – expect the unexpected when exploring Flint & Genesee.
1. The Flint Cultural Center campus - Flint Institute of Arts, Michigan’s second-largest art institute; Longway Planetarium, Michigan’s largest planetarium; and The Whiting, a European-style theater that hosts the Flint Symphony Orchestra, Broadway hits, and more.
2. Greater Flint Arts Council’s Second Friday ARTWALK — a free, self-guided monthly stroll through galleries and participating businesses in downtown Flint.
3. Flint Public Art Project murals – hundreds of murals decorate buildings throughout the city of Flint; free walking tours are available through the What’s Up Downtown Project or can be self-guided with the PixelStix app.
4. Flint Farmers’ Market – serving the community and visitors for more than 100 years with year-round vendors and dining offerings.
5. Genesee County Parks & Recreation – the state’s largest county park system that includes For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum, home to a barrier-free treehouse built by Animal Planet’s Treehouse Masters, and four-season activities.
6. Crossroads Village/Huckleberry Railroad – a turn-of-the-century town with train rides, shows and year-round special events, like Christmas at Crossroads Holiday Magic that transforms the village with thousands of sparkling lights and Santa waiting to say hello.
7. Events, events, and more events — including Back to the Bricks, Bikes on the Bricks, HAP Crim Festival of Races, The Ally Challenge presented by McLaren, and many community festivals and fairs.
8. Automotive history and Vehicle City attractions – Whaley Historic House Museum, Sloan Museum, UAW Sit Down Strike site and Durant-Dort Factory One.
9. Shopping – from antiques to shopping centers to downtown boutiques and bookstores.
10. Unique craft food and beverage dining experiences – Barley & Vine, Cork on Saginaw, Crust, Fenton Winery & Brewery, Flint Crepe Company, Sauce Italian Kitchen, Soggy Bottom Bar, Tenacity Brewing and more!
Explore what Flint & Genesee has to offer and start planning at exploreflintandgenesee.org.